Sunday, February 24, 2008

Genuine People Power

I went to bed early. Tomorrow was to be my birthday -- my 14th.

It was almost midnight and I couldn't catch sleep. I could hear voices over the radio below but the door to my room made it unintelligible. I hastened to my feet and went down for a glass of water, I think. My parents were intently listening to the radio. Now I could hear the voice above the static. The reporter told of National Defense Minister Enrile and AFP Vice Chief of Staff Fidel Ramos holed up in the Camps along EDSA. They have apparently announced the severance of their ties to the recently-proclaimed re-elected Ferdinand Marcos. A while later, as I was already seated at the sala joining the still faces around the radio, I heard the voices of Manila Archbishop Jaime Sin and Agapito "Butz" Aquino calling for people to surround the two camps with warm bodies. To my young mind then, this will be over by sunrise tomorrow. It'll be like the others. Marcos was, is, will be, Marcos.

Yet, when the sun rose a few hours later, the main avenue was impassable. Throngs have responded to last night's call. It was unbelievable! We had to "redeem" our black and white TV that was pawned a week ago to see history unfold. I sat before the screen almost the whole day, gaping at the naked courage displayed by nuns, priests, young men and ladies and even the old as they faced tanks with nothing but rosaries in their hands and prayers on their lips. I literally had goosebumps all over. As each hour passed, there were reports of government troops heading towards the growing mass of people, armed with orders to disperse the crowd so that the renegades can be arrested. Not one soul left their place, in fact, even more came. An aerial view of the crowd showed people like ants massing from Ortigas Avenue on one end to Cubao at the other. By the end of the day, it was undeniable that the end was almost near. Troops ordered to storm the crowd, joined the crowd. The scene tugs at the heart.

I remember shedding tears, silent tears, when rebel groups finally took-over Channel 4, the government TV station then housed at the now ABS-CBN compound. One minute, Marcos was addressing the people with the First Family behind him. The next, showed Bong Lapira, Jun Santiago, June Kiethly and Tina Monzon-Palma with Father Efren Datu seated behind a panel prop, wiping their tears, announcing to all that "we have recovered Channel 4." (I'm having goosebumps again as I write..the picture of the scene still vivid in my memory.)

Finally, on the 25th, after a number of false reports, it was made official -- Marcos Flees! (This was the banner headline of the Philippine Daily Inquirer, or was it Malaya?) There was jubilation all-over. At that moment, there were no strangers. All were Filipinos. Each embraced the person beside him. Joy was overflowing. It was indeed a new beginning. The long wait was over. Democracy has been restored, without bloodshed.

"Handog ng Pilipino sa Mundo
Mapayapang paraan ng pagbabago
Katotohanan, Kalayaan, Katarungan
Ay kayang makamit ng walang dahas
Basta't magkaisa tayong lahat."

What have we done since? Fifteen years later, we did a reprise. One that paled in comparison. One that regretfully I was a part of. It lacked the spontaneity of 1986. Yet it netted the same results. We were happy then. We had made history -- a second take though it was.

Again, what have we done since? Nothing.

Are we going to do it again? I hope not. For people power is not just about people in the streets. People power is about people knowing their rights, and more importantly, fulfilling their obligations and performing their responsibilities. We haven't!

Let us revive, give life to genuine People Power!

No comments: